01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: A Healing Touch 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A Healing Touch

34
"Do not touch anything in this store." "Hands in your pockets. I mean it." "No. No. Don't touch." Seems we are constantly on our children about keeping their hands to themselves, especially in certain stores where if they break something, it becomes ours. Touching can lead to ownership. Simple.

Today as Fr. Mark read the Gospel about Jesus healing the leper and referred to yesterday's reading of the healing of Simon's mother-in-law, he commented on the importance of Jesus' touch. He could have just said the words and they would have been healed but instead He touched them. My mind immediately went to the idea of telling my children a million times not to touch things that did not belong to them. But these people, people everywhere, kept coming to Jesus because they wanted to belong to Him. Jesus owned up to the power to heal the sick and the lost and they bought into all He had to offer. Who wouldn't?

Many times I have thought before giving money to a street person, "If I give it to him, he will expect it every time I see him." If I touch him now, he's mine. I've bought into his misery and his need. Well, so what! So what if I have to give him a little something every time I see him. Maybe it's time for me to get my hands out of my pockets and touch someone. I certainly cannot heal with these hands but God can work through them some other way. We're all so worried about breaking something. Well, it's already broken so let's work together to fix it. Let's touch someone today and maybe tomorrow and who knows, maybe all week. Let's not worry about what others think and start making a difference. Let's buy into these Gospel messages and own up to our beliefs. It's not easy. People we touch may rely on us again and again. And then again, that may be just the ticket we need.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38