01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Visiting, Taking Time, Shining Light 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Visiting, Taking Time, Shining Light

34
Funny how things happen. I fully intended on using this picture of the display in St. Mary's for a blog about my book, Visiting Mary, because quite frankly the summer is a great time to take the opportunity while on vacation to visit the many Shrines and Grottoes that we have in the U.S. But I became immediately distracted with the idea that the picture I took was just too busy looking, too distracting. Which, coupled with the Gospel readings this week, prompted me to realize how easily we are distracted by the busy background of our lives. If you're like me, you may take the readings from Scripture and try to focus on sharing God's message throughout your day, whether to your family or your friends or your co-workers or complete strangers. We try to take what we believe His message is for the day and live it out, shine the light, not leaving it "under a bushel basket". We try to live the Commandments and the Beatitudes. We may leave our morning prayer time or morning Mass and think, "I've got this. I can do this all day long. I am focused and today I will simply be kind to everyone I meet. I will love God and my neighbor." Then, bam. Life causes distractions. Our focus is blurred by the busy background. We can no longer see what's really important. The next morning we start all over again. And the next morning, again. And little by little we realize that life is just busy. The times when we cannot see Jesus or His Mother against all the background "stuff" is the time when we probably need them the most. The times when we cannot hear Jesus or His Mother against all the noise is the time when they probably should be heard the loudest. If we stay focused, we can see light. If we listen, we can speak truth. If we keep Him in our hearts all day, we can truly love. The ways of this world keep us hopping from one "thing" to the next. The ways of God keep us centered on what's important.

P.S.The OT reading today was Elijah trying to find God in the wind and the earthquakes but only finding Him in a whisper. At some point today, or maybe all day, may we quiet ourselves enough to hear His message in the whispers. And the message before the Gospel reading,
" Alleluia, alleluia. Shine like lights on the world, as you hold on to the word of life. Alleluia, alleluia." AMEN.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38