01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Go To Your Room 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Go To Your Room

34
"Go to your ROOM!" I can tell you that I heard these words as a young girl many times a week. Maybe even daily. Let's just say that I enjoyed life to the fullest. As number 6 of 8 children, maybe I felt it was my duty to give the parents a shot in the arm. You know, add a little spark. Grease the rusty wheels. But that can't be right because my brothers and sisters before me spent equal amounts of time in their rooms too. My parents were hopping from beginning to end. No rest for the weary shall we say. But they rarely complained and seemed to have a pretty good time along the way. 

In the past couple of weeks, I have done four radio interviews to promote "Talking to God" and in each the question has been asked, "In your book you suggest 'making a private chapel in your heart'. How do you go about that?" And actually, I use a quote from the 17th century Carmelite, Brother Lawrence that suggests we should “make a private chapel in our heart where we can retire from time to time to commune with Him, peacefully, humbly, lovingly; everyone is capable of these intimate conversations with God, some more, others less; he knows what we can do.”  

As I sat in the Chapel this morning and for the past several weeks, I have pondered this idea. Throughout my day, I try to have this place within myself where I can go when I feel like screaming. I try to have this place where I can retreat when I am tempted. We all can have this same place where we can go when our world is ridiculous. We have a place to go instead of jumping in on the office gossip or laughing at an improper joke. This morning as I thought about this place that everyone seems to be interested in, I pictured the many times when I was sent to my room before I got into something that I could not get out of. I thought about the time when I was sent to the library in High School before I got in-school suspension with my friends. I thought of Jesus telling me that the same elements in the Chapel where I was sitting could be in my heart where I could retreat right before I made a bad choice. I envisioned Jesus telling me, "Go to your Heart room" to contemplate my actions or reactions. 

I ran back up to our Chapel to take the above picture and I was reminded of this verse. "And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart." Luke 2:19  I'd say that we're in good company as we work on "making a private chapel in (y)our heart(s)."

How about it for you? Have you ever thought about making a private Chapel in your Heart? Is it just a quiet place for prayer as mine has been in the past or is it a retreat from the ridiculous or is it a safe place to avoid sin? Is it a place where you can "retire"just as the Chapel is near the Church? Something to ponder I guess. I sure have been asked a lot.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38