01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Sacred Heart of Jesus 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Sacred Heart of Jesus

34
Yesterday my husband and I drove to Chattanooga to spend a couple of days preparing the house for winter. Sealing windows, painting, cleaning and cutting back bushes is exhausting but we just love the city of Chattanooga. And, I love going into my kids' kitchen and seeing the statue of the Sacred Heart (once owned by their Nona) overlooking those two as they come and go throughout the day.



The honor given to the image of the Sacred Heart as we know it today began after the apparitions to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in 1673. She explained that Jesus allowed her to rest her head against his chest, as he revealed to her the image of his heart with flames coming from it and a crown of thorns around it, surmounted by a cross. She could clearly see the wound he had received on the cross. He revealed to her that he desired the image to be honored and that those who did as he asked would receive twelve promises:
1.      I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
2.      I will establish peace in their houses.
3.      I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
4.      I will be their strength during life, and above all, during death.
5.      I will bestow large blessings upon all their undertakings.
6.      Sinners shall find in my heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
7.      Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
8.      Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
9.      I will bless every place where a picture of my Heart shall be set up and honored.
10.  I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11.  Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be blotted out.
12.  I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
Jesus asked St. Margaret Mary to promote this devotion so that all mankind would know his burning love for his children. He requested that homes display his image and people carry small pictures.
  (List of Promises from the Catholic Source Book)
 

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38