01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: What's in Your Wallet? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

What's in Your Wallet?

34
On June 6th, I wrote the above title as a starter for a post and I have no idea what I was going to say about it. Do you ever do that? Scribble down a few words that you want to get back to and when you see them again, you have no idea what they mean. Well, great. So I'm not alone in this but it still doesn't help me figure out why I posed the question.

I have been putting together my new office at my house and while cleaning out my old office have found many surprising things. I have found a $100 gift card, three $5 bills, a fifty and just today five $20 bills (well five for me and five in an envelope addressed to a sweet lady who comes by the bookstore to buy books to give out to people she meets on the street). I remember a customer giving us that money to pass along to her ministry. Oops. I will get it there don't worry. I also found an old wallet with a bunch of credit cards I no longer use (obviously) but nothing too exciting otherwise.

I remember one of the girls at the store telling me about stopping to give a man on the side of the street some money and as she opened her wallet he peered in, saw what she had and asked for more than what she gave him. Hmm. No. Not that.

I received this nifty little wallet from my sister-in-law for Christmas with a gift card which I have not used yet. She makes beautiful handbags, etc. which can be found at Marge and Rudy. This is my new wallet now and I have scoured it to find that there is nothing in at that would be of interest to anyone.

So, from maybe a spiritual standpoint, let's think about what it is that we carry around with us all the time. What is the thing we dig for when someone asks us for something? Do we reach for a little cash just to get someone to move along and not bother us anymore or simply to be nice? Do we hand our kids the credit card to shut them up from crabbing about having to buy their own gas? What is it in our wallets and how do we use what we have? I even went as far as to send my daughter down yesterday with money for a homeless man. What I couldn't walk down and show a little compassion? Really? Come on.

People need so much more than just what's in that wallet. I know that. What else is there? Well, there may be your family pics. They would certainly love to be a part of your family, a part of a group of people you care for and love. And, there may be a holy card !!!! That's it!!!! It was a prayer that a customer had from his mother that was so well used by this man that we could hardly read the words anymore. I had to retype it and print it on the back of holy cards for him to give to his family. And that's another item that we might find inside our wallet; an old prayer that our parents used to get them through tough times or to simply thank God for the many gifts He'd given. Some carry a Sacred Heart badge or a Scapular. Others a crucifix or medal. Reminders that what you have and pass along with a little spiritual lift is so much more.

Whatever it is that you carry in your wallet, I hope it goes farther than it's cash value. I hope it makes a difference. I hope it changes a life. I hope it means something.

So, what's in your wallet?


35 36 37 38