01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Hand Me Down Scripture 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Hand Me Down Scripture

34
"For if a man with gold rings and fine clothes comes into your assembly, and a poor person with shabby clothes also comes in, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say, “Sit here, please,”
while you say to the poor one, “Stand there,” or “Sit at my feet,” have you not made distinctions among yourselves and become judges" James 2, 1-9

Happens every day.

The bookstore has been busy due to the upcoming weekend Confirmations and not-too-far-off First Communions. Thank the good Lord we still have many who believe in supporting local, small businesses  even though it may be easier to "jump on the internet". Thank you to all our awesome customers!

On a daily basis we have the opportunity to serve and we try very hard to serve well. Our children's classmates' parents come in and we wander down from our offices and chit chat and bend over backwards to get them all they want and need for their child's special day. The Sisters or Priests come in and again we make our descent to make sure they are well taken care of, after all, they are the ones who support our efforts. Our customers are the reason we are here, right? Right? Well, from what we hear today in the readings, these people are not the only ones we will serve to get us to the "next place". Of course, we need to serve them and serve them well, but they are easy to serve. They are rich in compliments and they are grateful for what we do for them. They give back to us so we can be here the next year for the next group of parents and teachers and children. The payback is obvious, material and even oftentimes spiritual, and it feeds us.

I hear the phone buzz and my daughter says, "Mom, there is a salesman down here who just happens to be in the neighborhood and would like to see you since dad is not here." Ugh. A salesman for my husband's part of the business? Don't make me. I finish the order I am working on and after about 5 minutes wander down front to see what he could possibly want. He apologizes for not having an appointment, gathers a few papers including price lists, asks about Allen and then about leaving his car in our lot to walk around Vanderbilt. I am cordial and thank him for waiting for me to come down and tell him to leave his car as long as he wants. Poor guy. All he wanted was 5 minutes and I made him wait.

Buzz. "Mom, Roy is down here and wants to talk to you." "Ya mean he wants money." "Probably." I finish everything I possibly can and wander downstairs, growling all the way. There are customers. I check on them first and then go to the man waiting. "Ms. Julie, can I have a few dollars for lunch?" He whispers because he's embarrassed that he has to ask. Don't I get that? "Let me check and see if I have anything." I get my leftovers after I set aside money for the basketball game and the volleyball match. My leftovers. Poor guy. All he wanted was a little something for food.

Buzz. "Mom, William is down here." "Oh come on. Can't you just move him along? I just sat down." "He wants you." I hurry worried he may hug a customer or ask them for something. "William, what's up?" "You got a motorcycle? A car for sale? A coke cola? Something to eat? Any tapes or records? You like music?" "No William. But I have some water. Do you want some water?" "No thanks." "Alright, you have a good day and I'll see you tomorrow." Poor guy. All he really wanted was my attention.

So easy to give to those who give back, who wear nice clothes, who come in for what I am there for. So easy to lose sight of who it really is who gives back, who wears their nicest clothes, who ask for what I am really here for. I practically fall over myself for those who do not really need me and I take my sweet time coming down for those who do need me. How many ways does Scripture have to tell me who's who for me to get the message? Lord, save me from myself. I thank God for every day being a new day and for His great Mercy!

Labels:

35 36 37 38