01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: "Let's get better together." 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

"Let's get better together."

34
My 7th grader joined a spring basketball team which consists of boys from other Catholic grade schools. I love it. I have always said to my kids as they played against other teams that someday they will all play together on the same High School team so watch the way they treat one another. Hmmm. Holds true in life in general for the most part. The way we treat each other may come around to bite us if we don't watch ourselves. A teacher we're rude to could someday be our customer, a neighbor our lawyer or our judge, a person we cut off in traffic our co-worker on a project, a homeless person our roommate in Heaven (if such a thing), etc etc. You get my drift. And that's just what I'm doing...drifting.

So, the coach for this team sends emails which often end, "Let's get better together" and I have found myself using this in the daily grind we call life. The other day I had a rep from a publisher call and ask if I had 10 minutes to answer some survey questions so that they could better themselves. I did not but I did. He said the publisher had hired an outside team to come in and help them run their company more efficiently. I have been there so I knew how important it was to give this survey honest answers. They were not difficult questions for me because I have been doing this over 30 years and I still work every day on many of the same things I was being asked. At the end of the questioning, I said, "Let's get better together" and I meant it. The publishing and book selling industry has gotten quite, may I say, worrisome. With the closing of many major bookstores and the change of buying habits for discounting and for convenience, our industry has changed and to thrive, I wholeheartedly believe we must work together. I like my new mantra. I like it for my business as well as for my home as I work with my husband and my children to have "something more" and to believe that there is so much more. I like it for the world today which is quite worrisome in and of itself.


As I knelt at the end of Mass this morning after the awesome readings from the Letter of St. Peter (cast all your worries on Him, be vigilant, clothe yourselves with humility) and from the Gospel of Mark (go into the whole world and proclaim) and I heard, "I want you to preach the Gospel, to write and to speak , but I also want you be preach with your actions, by example." As St. Francis said, "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."

"Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel." (1Cor 9:16)


Short of it is, there is much work to do and we need to do it and we need Jesus Christ and we need one another. 

"Let's get better together."

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38