Thursday, February 28, 2013

What's in a Name?

As usual, our priest left us with something to think about for the day. Preaching on the Gospel reading of the rich man and Lazarus, he simply said, "Hmmm. The poor man had a name but the rich man did not. Ponder that."

I am awful with remembering names. AND, that drives me crazy. I want to remember the names of my customers and my children' previous teachers and their friends and those I went to grade school and high school with and my parent's friends, etc. etc. There is something about naming someone that makes the entire encounter personal, special, meaningful.
Jesus loves Lazarus. Jesus wants us to know Lazarus by name. He wants us to remember him, to think about him and to recognize him in our own lives. Jesus wants us to have a personal encounter with Lazarus so that those we come into contact with in our day will be fed, whether physically or spiritually or mentally, whether in our own homes or in our world. Jesus wants us to know Lazarus by name so that we understand that the Kingdom of Heaven, the key, the opportunity, lay daily at our feet.
Meet Lazarus. He has a name. May we remember him. May we feed him. May we talk to him. May we serve him in our children, our spouse, our co-workers, our neighbors and our selves. Today, may we, ponder that.

No comments:

Post a Comment