Thursday, January 17, 2013

For This Reason, I Write

If you are anything like me, occasionally you may question your job or your talent or what you believe to be your calling. Several weeks ago, a friend, who's blog I read, questioned whether or not anyone reads or gets anything out of what she writes. (I do.) I wonder that about myself, often. An artist friend looked at me one day and said, "I don't know why I even bother" referring to trying to keep up her website and promote her art. (Because she's awesome.) I completely understand and again, often wonder about those things myself. I hear other bookstore owners say, "I work and work and some days I just feel like I am driving myself crazy for no reason."  Retail is very difficult right now, but I am beginning to understand what it means to make a difference to just one person, even if we never hear about it.

Last week, I received the gift of a lifetime. Reading around different blogs and websites and questioning whether or not the sale of my book was going well and worrying about the lack of time and talent I have to do any of the kinds of promotions that other writers do, I found myself questioning this calling. Who really cares what I have to say and what makes me think that what I put out there is really what God wants? And then, I received IT! It. A Letter. A letter from a friend of a friend who received "Jesus at My Side" as a gift. And for this reason, I write...

"Julie, I have debated about writing you a letter until I read your Dec. 22 personal  reflection in your book about loving personal mail - it was a sign. I don't know if my friend has shared with you but I have been sick for 6 months with ... She sent me your book and all I can say is that it saved me. Daily I look forward to the message it brings me.  So many times I feel God is speaking directly to me whether answering a question I had on my heart, giving me hope when I needed it or bringing me much needed peace.  Your book has been to every single doctor's visit. I carry it with me everywhere I go.  I want to thank you for using your God given gifts and writing this book.  I believe I was meant to have this book during this time and as I go forward on this journey. You will never know the countless ways your book has touched me. Thank you and may God bless you."

Needless to say, I am humbled by this young girl's words. The message I want to share is that we may never know the difference we make, but if we touch one person with our words or our talents or our prayers, that is enough. One word. One picture. One prayer. One touch. One person. Enough.

(Artwork by Jean Dortch )

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Thanks for it.

    Also....http://ramblingfollower.blogspot.com/2013/01/jesus-at-my-side-365-reflections-on-his.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Julie. I write for myself first, to document thought that I believe God has blessed me with. Like books I underline in, I sometimes go back to re-read and renew the lesson I found. Then I also write with the idea that perhaps what I write is an answer to my prayer each morning: "Make me an instrument of Your peace." Finally I write, sometimes, just because it runs through my head and won't go away, like something is MEANT to be written --- perhaps not for me.

    On rare occasions I am blessed with consolations from God, hints that I am doing something right. (Often it is for something I didn't even know I WAS doing, but someone else noticed.) And once in a while on my blog, are comments that are consolations --- what I wrote mattered to someone. But, Julie, I am strongly convinced that the vast, vast, vast majority of the good we do in this world, we will never know about. We are not dogs. God does not go around behind us picking up our mistakes, nor every time we do something right does He say: "Good doggie." We commit to follow Him, and He expects us to do what we say. Good things happen if we do, but we most often won't know it, and certainly not be praised for it.

    That's what love does.

    ReplyDelete