Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wash With Tears

Today we read in the Gospel the story of the "sinful woman" who washes the feet of Jesus with her tears. She never says a word. She uses her sorrow for her sins for the good of another and in return, without asking, she is made clean. Her faith saves her and she is given the gift of peace.

I have to ask myself today, what do I do in times of sorrow? How do I react to others? Is there some way to actually turn my times of sorrow into some sort of good for someone else? Why should I? It's the time when I may want others to come to my rescue, to attend to my needs, to give me attention. And yet, maybe it's the time when Jesus asks me to have Faith, to sit with Him and to accept the gift of peace, to be an example to those around me. This lesson I read today is a tough lesson for me to even fathom. In the times of my greatest loss, of my greatest fear, of my greatest anxiety, how can I turn this into something good for others? How can I see beyond myself?

Jesus tells me today that especially in my darkest moments, in my brokenness, in my sorrow, I am to have faith. He will bring me peace. He will cleanse me of my sins. He will be my consolation.

My mother has always, and I have mentioned it before, told us to "wash feet". She has passed on the idea that until we have been in someone else' shoes, we have no idea. Maybe it is times such as this, our own times of sadness, or fear, or anxiety, that we can understand just what others go through and we can ourselves be witnesses to what it means to truly have Faith.

Today, as I envision this woman's tears washing the feet of Christ, may I learn to wash, may I take the time, may I make a difference, and most of all, may I not say a word and simply have Faith.

1 comment:

  1. No matter how much we don't want to be focused on ourselves and our problems (or the things that limit our happiness), there is an understanding that we are to "love our neighbor AS OURSELF." But it's so easy not to get beyond the "ourself" part. It's said that if we can't love ourselves, we can't love our neighbor. True, I guess, but so often we look into the eye of our suffering neighbor and not see Jesus, but a reflection of our sufferings.

    Very good thoughts, Julie. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete