Thursday, March 1, 2012

Work Ethic

I noticed as I entered that there was a different girl to wash hair. Again? That's three in 3 or 4 months now. Hmmm. The talk started when more ladies arrived and noticed a "new" girl. "These young people just don't want to work." "Things are a lot different than they were in my day." "Young people just don't get it." I wanted to say, "Whoa there ladies! Let's not generalize." But, I stayed somewhat quiet. I did mention that I do not have many problems at our store with the ladies or the high school and college girls. I did mention that I believe that those who have a true belief it right and wrong seem to be more responsible when it comes to a work ethic. They seem not to leave others hanging and if they have to miss a day, they find a sub until they can get back. I did mention that I believe a certain amount of the work ethic comes from the examples set by the family. I did mention that part of being a Christian is just doing the right thing. "But the woman who was here talked about reading the Bible all the time." I stayed somewhat quiet. I did mention that reading the Bible and living God's Word are two totally different things. And, I speak to myself on that as well.
I hope and pray, that no one ever speaks about my children in this way. I hope and pray, that my children never feel they are entitled. No one should feel entitled. There is so much work to be done. (For this life and for the next.) If you are finished, if you are done or feel that you have "paid your dues", then take the time, accept the challenge, pass it on. Show up. Do the right thing. Follow through. Expect. Be there. And, for the sake of all that is right and just, help our society and hand it down.

5 comments:

  1. In general here is a bad work ethic out there. I hear this mostly from my own teens. They are often so frusterated with peers. They are the ones that notice the issues. I actually had one child leave a job because her peers were either high or on the phone all the time during their shifts. She got tired of picking up the slack all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how can we get those peers to get a grip? We really need to turn around this whole idea of entitlement. I can not stand it when the hard working teens get pushed out of a situation. I hope and pray this changes for the sake of our world and our souls.

      Delete
  2. On the other hand, my 19 year old son is substitute teaching, showing up for work every day, loving the work, coming home enthusiastic and excited and ready to go to work the next day. Last summer he worked in a lumber yard, had great stories to tell and was happy to be using his muscles. The summer before, he built trails in the Tongass National Forest. It was difficult, muddy, cold and wet, but he enjoyed it and would do it again. It guess it depends on the young person. I agree that I would hate to have anyone talk about my kids this way. There are great hard working kids out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, Awesome. I agree that there are plenty of hard workers out there and I hope that more of the folks like I ran into can find those people. As we all know, if we lump and label, we only make things worse. I love when my kids share those great stories.

      Delete
  3. I love how at the beginning of this post you said "but I stayed somewhat quiet." ;) I admire you for saying all that you did! It was probably all stuff they needed to hear. I probably would have said very little to nothing.

    ReplyDelete