01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Measuring 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Measuring

34
"For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you."

There's a reason for me to stand up and notice the Gospel reading for today. All seemed so cut and dry, don't judge, don't condemn, forgive, give gifts. Difficult, no doubt, but understood. The way we judge others is the way we will be judged. If we blame and condemn and point fingers, then we shall receive a fair share of the same. Forgive and we are forgiven. Give and we will receive. Understandable. But the end throws me only because I am not good about measuring. I so to speak even ad lib a little in the measuring department. If I do not have sticks of butter with the nice little measurements on the side, I scoop some spoons from the crock o' butter. I grab a spoon from the draw and add sugar or flour or vanilla or salt. I don't always have my glasses so I guess when it's about 2/3rds of a cup. I hem pants by what looks good to the eye and I hang pictures by what seems to be the middle of the wall. Now, I can't get it off my mind that the reckless way I measure is the measure I will get in return. I believe it's time in my life to get a little more serious about what stands before me day after day. I am hearing the message for the day to read, start being a little more deliberate with your actions. Words pop off the page for a reason and I think the message for me is that if I truly believe in the Gospel message and I truly want to live that message, God wants me to be much more precise in what I do and in what I say. A pinch of this and a dash of that is not gonna cut it at my age. He wants the full measure.
35 36 37 38