01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: The Tassel of His Cloak 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Tassel of His Cloak

34
I received a couple of different takes on today's Gospel reading from Mark. One is the idea that there was absolutely no holding back or keeping track of the healing that Jesus does in Gennesaret. As soon as He is recognized, the people gathered the sick from everywhere and all who touched were healed. "It's a good image for those times when we, too, are exhausted by the endless needs of God's people." When every child needs something and there's one more committee to serve on and your boss has one more favor that needs done and there's groceries to buy and laundry to do and one more story to write, "may the mighty God made manifest in Gennesaret cloak us with fresh spiritual power." Alicia von Stamwitz from Give Us This Day
In the homily at Mass, Fr. Mike mentioned that Jesus has something that everyone wants so once the crowds hear that He is in their village, they come from everywhere to see Him, to touch Him. They have heard and they believe and they recognize Him immediately. It reminds me of when I asked my father something like why he went to daily Mass or why he made Cursillo (doesn't matter what)and he answered because he saw the people who were doing it and wanted what they had. This Gospel makes me question just how do people recognize me? Would anyone look at my life and want what I have? Does anyone see Jesus Christ in me? Immediately? A short reading with a lot to think about!
35 36 37 38