Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Since It's Been a Week...I Feel I Can Talk

Welcome all to the New Year! I've been a little under the weather recovering from surgery. Seems I am special. And fortunate! Christmas night, I didn't feel so well. My husband had a stomach virus the previous two days so I figured that I had the same thing. Then, on the 26th, I felt worse. Just piercing pains in my lower abdomen but still, I was sick. No fever. Nothing else. Just pain. My daughters suggested the hospital, suggested the possibility of appendicitis, but I knew that was not possible. By 8:00 p.m., I begged my husband to take me to the emergency room and the next morning my appendix was removed. My poor, perforated, toxic appendix was taken from me. What makes me so special? Fortunate? The darn thing had loped up over my colon and the perforated side with all the toxins wanting to escape into my body and make me reallllly sick were pressed tightly against my colon. Doc said he'd never seen such luck. Doc said he had to work long and hard after realizing what had happened but that he could handle it all arthroscopically because the infection had been contained. Thank You God!
Here's my point to telling you this story other than allowing you to feel a little sorry for me. Hahaha. My husband has told me story after story shared with him every time he mentioned the reason for my absence. Oh my goodness. Crazy, awful stories. I truly am fortunate. And, I'm also fortunate in my faith community. I had people show up each day to bring me Communion and I received the Sacrament of the Sick. A priest happened by the bookstore, asked about me and came right over. I am truly blessed and I am grateful. I believe. I believe that evil can lurk in the oddest places and can show it's ugly head in the weirdest ways and at the worst times. I believe that we can bring one another strength through our visits and through our prayers. I believe that God means for us to take care of one another, to allow for help, to overcome all that is tough in this world and to live in community. I believe.

3 comments:

  1. thank God you are all right! I've been completely obsessed with diet and nutrition these days and have been scouring over the Weston A. Price website for some time. I've been learning about how important is is to have healthy gut flora and how this gut flora directly impacts 90% of all other body functions including the brain. So now I'm looking toward the GAPS diet after Disney World this month, of course!
    I hope your health continues to improve and God continues to work miracles in you and through you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you. Julie, I have missed you and glad - grateful - all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, what a scary thing to go through. I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering well. Let me know (seriously) if there is anything I can do for you. My Mom died on this day last year (Jan. 4, 2011) from bursting her large intestine while moving a Christmas tree. So, I do know sort of what you've been through. I'll be praying for your continued recovery.

    donna_wair@msn.com

    ReplyDelete