Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gifts From Above

Christmas can be a magical time; a time for family and friends sharing the birth of Christ with gifts to one another. December 25th also happens to be my father's birthday. This year my brother and sister-in-law invited the entire family over Christmas night for soup and salad and birthday cake. All the children and grandchildren made a card and put them in a large bowl for him to read later. The night was quite the success. As people finished eating, my brother gathered us all and handed each of the eight children an envelope and called upon his wife to tell a little about the contents. Seems my brother had found some unclaimed money that belonged to my grandmother and his wife went to great pains to retrieve the cash and split it between her grandchildren. Many times she went back to the claims office with larger sizes of licenses and other identification. You'd think the people really did not want the money to be claimed. Imagine that! But, my sister-in-law was persistent because she knew, and she's right, that my grandmother and grandfather worked hard for every penny and she would want to have what she deserved. So, my sister-in-law, on her crutches from knee surgery, went back again and again until she got what my grandmother left behind. Each card had three bills and the note that you see above. I was touched by my brother and sister-in-law's hard work and by their persistence and by the sharing of the story and the remembering of the life. My grandmother loved to spend Christmas with us. The cake she always had for my father said, "Happy Birthday Jesus and Bill!" She was incredibly giving and I loved that she was a part of my dad's big birthday and our Christmas. Gift after gift. Memory after memory. An awesome gift from above!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful. you have been blessed with a large and loving family.

    ReplyDelete