Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

I was going to write today about how difficult it is to pray or to read or to write when you're sick. Then, I read another blog from a writer I absolutely love who was giving excuses for why she may not be called to be a writer. I suddenly realized that I often think of all sorts of excuses not to sit and write. Writing is not easy, especially for someone like me who has no "formal training". I read a lot, I pray a lot, I try to listen and I practice, practice, practice and still, I seem to think of every excuse not to sit and work on what I believe I should be working on. Writing can be scary. Rejection can occur. Criticism does occur. You work and work and work and oftentimes your personal life lay wide open for all to see. It can be frightening. But, if you love something, just do it. So, I'm thinking that it's time for me to stop thinking up excuses and sit and write. No fear.
Handed down from my parents as well as my grandparents is a whole lot of "don't give me any excuses" and "I don't want to hear it". So. Let's go. Get on with it. Write. Not whether I believe I'm called or not, not when I can find the time and not when I start feeling better...Now.
And, for those who are not writers but maybe are painters or who have some projects lurking and have found more time for excuses than the work itself, stop...go to it... get on with it. No excuses. No excuses. No excuses.

1 comment:

  1. What you say is true of writing is also true of so much else in life. '(Life) can be scary. Rejection can occur. Criticism does occur. You work and work and work and oftentimes ... it can be frightening. But, if you love something, just do it. So, I'm thinking that it's time for me to stop thinking up excuses ... No fear.' Forgive me paraphrasing your writing, but I found it very applicable to my own life's work. And it certainly applies to living out our Christian faith. No fear!

    ReplyDelete