Thursday, December 1, 2011

Lessons From Work

Whether we work inside the house or outside the house or both, our work can teach us many things about life. Our work can teach us virtue in action. Love in action. Christ in action. Our work can teach us about responsibility and relationship, about allowing others to help, about family, about patience, about humility, about listening with the heart, about the importance of the aged, about youth, about the homeless, about passing on gifts, about using gifts, about being gifted.
I am very fortunate in my particular work that I have these opportunities right smack in front of my face. Working in a Catholic bookstore with my family gives me plenty of possibilities for success and for failure. Faith is all around me. We talk about Christ, we share Christ and we often miss meeting Christ face to face because we get wrapped up in ourselves.
Let me start this morning with the lesson of allowing others to do their job. If you are like me, you know that in your workplace you have the capability to do everything. You can do it all. You can work the business, do the bookkeeping, open, close, answer the phone and run errands. You can do anything necessary. But, I believe that we are here on this earth, in this place, in this house or this business to work together. Don't we think that when Jesus became man and went out to preach and to teach that He could have done it all? But, He didn't. He called others to come and to work along side Him so that when His time here was over, His work would continue. It is important, not just for that reason, but also because when we allow others to do the job they believe they were called to do. They too are allowed to have some success in the journey. Our children putting their laundry away, doing their dishes and finishing their chores not only teaches them that they have responsibilities but also gives them self worth. Our co-workers finishing projects and helping customers and serving the needs of other co-workers allows them to have that same sense of self worth. People need to be needed. People need to do their jobs. People need to work together to build what we hope to someday be a better world. Today, we have to let others do what they do. We need to allow others the satisfaction of accomplishing the work for which they have been called. God knows we can do it all but He wants us to work together and to love one another.

1 comment:

  1. Working at St. Mary's will always be "the best job I ever had". You always allowed me to grow by trusting me with new responsibilities and yes, it increased my feelings of self worth at a time when it was much needed. So, are you hiring? (I'm only half kidding.)

    Blessings -- Donna Wair

    ReplyDelete