01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Who Do You Say That I Am? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Who Do You Say That I Am?

34
Each year our grade school chooses a theme for the year that helps to connect the events and the classrooms with the faculty, the students and the parents. This year's theme is, "Who do you say that I am?" That wonderful question Jesus puts to Peter and Peter responds to properly, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." We witness in this response that Jesus is not only human but also Divine. We understand that He is so much more than just a prophet or a teacher or a leader or a follower.

During the parent-teacher night last night and last Thursday night and the Wednesday night the week before that (yes, 3 weeks in a row), I began thinking about who I am and who my children are to others and how people identify us. Many, many times throughout every year I have people stop me in the grocery store or at a ball game and say, "Oh. St. Mary's Bookstore. Right?" I am often stopped at school or at a party and asked, "Now you're Beth's mom, or Sarah's or Will's or Margaret's or Nicholas' or Julia's. Right?" In church or in a restaurant, "Aren't you Bill and Jean's daughter?" At work, "Allen's wife? or Donna's sister? or Ted's aunt?" All answers are correct. I am one of the faces of the bookstore and I am a mother and a daughter and a wife and a sister and an aunt. I am an author and a reader and a talker and a listener. I am a daughter of Christ, the Son of the living God.

Today, as the disciples are called to be "fishers of men", we are reminded that we too are called to bring others closer to Christ, the Son of the living God. As we encounter others, may we think today about how they identify us and who we need to be to them. What is our connection and how can we be so much more? Who do others say that we are?
35 36 37 38