Thursday, September 15, 2011

Middle Aging

I used to have two brains, one for work and one for home, and for a short time I had even a little extra for my passion, writing. However, since my over 50 birthday, there have been quite a few changes in my life. I've always enjoyed 10 minute power naps right before dinner, you know, the ones where your children ask you things the entire time your eyes are closed and swear later that you said they could spend the weekend at a friend's house or have a party and you were only out a few minutes but at the same time when you get up you feel like you've slept for an hour. Now, I need a 20 to 30 minute nap every afternoon. Somewhere between 3:30 and 5:30 I have suddenly started to have brain drain and my eyelids just can't seem to stay in the open position. Next, there's the weight issue. I have never been one to really watch what I eat so to speak but since that birthday, I have put on 15 lbs and no matter what I do, I can't seem to shake them. I know, I know, my metabolism has changed but when the heck is it gonna change back? People tell me just to walk a little each day but after 4 flights of stairs all day at work all I want to do is... yep, take a nap. To make matters a little more in my face, I still have 9, 11 and 13 year old children so I will be in grade school for a bit longer and hanging around those younger moms does not make me feel any better about myself. But, and there is a but, I have to be truthful about the fact that I am a lot less stressed about life. I have learned with the older three that it will all be okay. The kids will be fine even if I forget to pick them up from practice and the doctor will not go crazy if I happen to miss an appointment and even though a customer may get impatient, it's not the end of the world if their order does not get in on time. Life is too short to worry about all the little things that go on in this world. I say, take another vitamin or a nap and move along helping this world to be a better place for those who are to come. I do find myself spending more time in the Chapel and stopping by my parents' house just to chat. Thank goodness they are both on my street as well as my work and grade school. So, keep in mind, if I forget your name or leave a child at your house for days or look like I might fall asleep while you're talking or seem a little wide in the mid-section, be gentle with me, I'm middle aging.

1 comment: