Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mother-in-Laws

"He will be your comfort and the support of your old age, for his mother is the daughter-in-law who loves you. She is worth more to you than seven sons!"
As I read the story of Naomi and Ruth today, I am reminded of how fortunate I was to have my mother-in-law as a part of my life. A strong woman who dedicated her life to her husband, her children, her grandchildren and her friends, she also spent hours a day working with disabled children in our schools as a physical therapist. After the long week of work, she would appear on Saturdays to help her son care for her grandchildren, taking them places or just playing games with them while he cut grass or ran errands or merely just survived while I was at work. She seemed to be always on the move, always happy and always willing to give a little more herself. As she battled cancer, I remembered vividly my daughter sitting with her and rubbing her bald head. I was so worried that they would bother her but she never missed a chance to love my children. When she had to go for full care from Hospice, I slipped over one afternoon for a visit. I sat and talked to the nurses and told stories about her grandchildren. Before I left, I looked into her eyes and told her, "You are a wonderful mother and grandmother. I love you." She mouthed back, "I love you too." It was the last visit I would have with her and as usual, she gave me so much more than I ever could have given her. I will say it again, I was so fortunate to have a wonderful mother-in-law.

5 comments:

  1. How very sweet. You were very fortunate indeed! I keep thinking why the majority of MIL are so difficult to live with...I thought mine was an angel until my husband and I got married... It makes me wonder why a mother is so different and so much easier a role than MIL. It shouldn't be that much harder, but somehow it almost always is! Maybe I am just used to how my mom is and expect my MIL to be the same. My husband doesn't think she's so bad because he's used to her and doesn't expect much else. The story of Ruth has a great lesson to learn about how important it is to take a MIL as your own mother- no matter how difficult it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura Cragon ZeitlinAugust 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

    You are one of the best blessings that happened to our family! Mom loved you as much (maybe sometimes better) than any of us 3 that she birthed~Thanks for your sweet words about beloved our Granny Nanny! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oka,y so now I am in tears. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful mother in law! And she was you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally Cragon SmallingAugust 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

    Beautiful, Julie! Thank you and we love you!

    ReplyDelete