Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Oldest Daughter

My daughter is graduating from Spring Hill College in Mobile, Al this weekend and I have all those mixed mom emotions of being proud of all she has accomplished and being sad that she will be moving along in her own life and not needing us quite as much. I know, I know, she will need us for a while but this is just the beginning of her making a new life for herself. I'd like to just tell the moms out there who have heard it said or have said it themselves that, "Life goes by so quickly" or "Wow, you blink and they are out of grade school" or "High school seemed to fly by", college is truly the fastest four years I have ever experienced. I guess it's because we may not see them as much and in some cases only at Christmas and Easter break. Beth and I seemed to keep up with one another and I feel like she came home for a lot of the family stuff but I'm tellin' ya, it's quick. I can't say how many times I had to bite my lip when she would decide to go with friends for Spring Break or her internship kept her from a long weekend visit. But, her father and I are so proud of her graduating with honors and we are so proud of all she has done in her internships, heightening awareness for the two non-profits where she worked. She is one dedicated woman and although we know that she will not want to "need" us, we want her to know that we will always be excited for her to come home, just like my parents seemed to be as each of us moved back and forth through their house for all those years. (My parents even had some move in that were not ours from the start). Anyway - Congratulations Beth! You are awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter! What a sweet post, and what a great time in her life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it, stop it, I'm crying already. Wonderful message from a wonderful Mama. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete