Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Visit to Remember


After my father-in-law died this past week, we heard story upon story about him from his childhood up until literally the weekend before he died. Harlen would love this because he was a man who loved to hear, read about and tell long stories about himself as well as others in his life. This one from his long time friend touched me as important for many of us.

On the 18th of January, a long time friend of my father-in-law had planned to meet with him for lunch. It happened to snow that day and yet the friend related that the last time he canceled an appointment with someone, the person died so he was going to make the meeting one way or the other. The friend said he walked to my father-in-law's place, 25 minutes in the snow and cold, to have lunch and to visit. He talked about how happy Harlen was in his new place and how proud he was of his apartment. He talked about how well he looked and how incredible the lunch menu was that they offered. He talked about his life.

On this day, he shared how fortunate he felt to have kept the appointment despite the weather. He truly had a visit to remember.
This made me stop and think how many times I've put things off, missed an opportunity or avoided an encounter. This made me stop and wonder what our world, our city, our neighborhood would be like if we each took the time to make the effort. This will make me think. This will help me to remember.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, Julie. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies for your father in law. It sounds like he was a great guy. What a wise friend he had!

    ReplyDelete