Monday, December 27, 2010

St. John the Apostle

Many events in my life I have not wanted to participate in but, prompted by an older sibling, have done and have never regretted. (I'm not saying everything.) Can't you just see these boys, James and John, in the boat with their dad, just having a typical day fishing and this guy Jesus comes along and says "Follow me" and they immediately leave their dad and go? I can hear James saying, "Dad, I'm gonna go. I feel in my gut it's the right thing to do." Maybe his dad says, "Well, take your younger brother" or maybe "I know son. I feel it's right too" and John just jumps on the band wagon, not wanting to miss anything. Or James saying, "Come on John. Let's go. He's calling us." Maybe John wanted to stay with his dad. Maybe John was a little tentative. But from the story we get that they both just jumped out and followed Jesus.
In his homily, our priest the other day mentioned what a great study it is to fill in the blanks of what we know and don't know of Jesus' life. We are told of his birth, of age 12 and age 30 to 33. I find it a wonderful study to think further along all of the stories we hear in the Gospels. Of course, I love to embellish a story but there must be so much more. These guys were just regular people yet they gave up everything and followed Jesus and preached the Gospel. They asked ridiculous questions and these two had a mom who asked for her sons to be seated high in the Kingdom. They didn't understand a lot of what was going on and yet they stuck with Jesus. John was even put in charge of watching over Mary after Jesus' death. (Or was it Mary watching over John?)
Through all we read, what we get from St. John is a dedication to Jesus and a Gospel of love. Two things this world could definitely use today.

2 comments: