01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: St. Cecilia 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

St. Cecilia

34
The Feast of St. Cecilia immediately brings to mind the 4 years I spent at St. Cecilia Academy. My high school years were full of good times and great friendships. We are fortunate to have an all-girl high school run by the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia. My 7th grader just attended a sleepover in the gym this past weekend with other 7th and 8th graders from around Nashville. What an awesome experience for her! But the Feast Day also brings to mind my lack of ability to sing or draw or dance or do anything else in the artsy department. You'd think with 4 years at this beautiful institution that I'd grab one ounce of talent from somewhere within it's walls. But, No! However, after reading the Gospel reading this morning and pondering, "she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood" I wondered just what talent I had in my mind versus the talents God wants me to recognize and bring to their full potential. Maybe I too, in my poverty of talents could offer my livelihood. Let's think about that today. From our poverty, what do we have to offer?
In my Mother's Prayer Book, Bless My Child, I offer a prayer for our children to use their Full Potential: St. Cecilia, guide my child to reach her full potential in all her works. Teach her to use the talents that God has given her to make a difference in this world. As you sang to the Lord in your heart, guide my child to be pure in mind and heart, and to always pursue the will of God. Amen.
35 36 37 38