Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Take Nothing

"Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money,
and let no one take a second tunic."

Funny how these Gospel messages hit right in line with our lives sometimes. My husband and two sons helped his sisters and brother-in-law move his father into an apartment this past Sunday from his town home. Man is he excited to move into a place where he can go to a central dining area for meals and have people come in to help him with his laundry and his blood sugar levels (and insulin intake), etc. The more problems he has encountered due to his deteriorating sight, the more he has welcomed talking about looking for a place that can help him with his special needs. Wow, ya talkin' about leaving it all behind and not worrying about any of the "stuff"! He did it with no problems. How fortunate! Could have gone kicking and screaming about change or happy to welcome a new situation. Now, unfortunately, his kids will have to do something about the town home full of all his "stuff" but I think they are so grateful for his happiness that they don't really mind.

The big move has made me think and rethink about all the "stuff" we tend to accumulate and how much we need to simply our lives so that our children will not be left with having to deal with any of it when we are ready to be moved or for any other reason. And, after the Gospel reading today, I have been thinking about what I would take for my journey. Let's think about this. If Jesus showed up today and said, "Let's go. Oh, and you can only take 2 things", what would my two things be? At first my smarty response was to take my husband and my son so they could carry some "stuff" that I may need. Pretty clever. But seriously, what would the two things be?
What would you take if you could only take two things for a life-long journey?

1 comment:

  1. wow, good question, Julie. two things? that's a toughy. I think I would take a rosary and a bible.

    ReplyDelete