Monday, September 27, 2010

Isaiah

Last night as we dropped Isaiah off at the bus station, my son asked, "Well, are you gonna blog about this?" At first I laughed and said, "no" but then I thought, "this is about Isaiah and maybe others would like to pray for this young man".
I received a call around 6:30 (in the middle of the Boy Scout Spaghetti Supper I had bought earlier that morning and warmed up). A woman who had been in my sister's class growing up wanted to run over and give me a holy card order for her dad's visitation today and funeral tomorrow. How could I refuse? As I closed the front door, I told my husband that I would have to go to the bookstore and print the cards so they would have plenty of time to dry. My oldest son offered to go with me (15 year old 6'2" protection). He studied Calculus as I printed 500 cards. Didn't take but a hour and we were in the car by 8:00 and headed out of the lot. I opened the sun roof because it was a beautiful night. Suddenly this young kid comes running down West End and stopped to let me pull out of the lot, then starts with the "roll down the window" motions I'm so familiar with in this area of town. He walks to the car and I say "I can hear you just fine. What do you need?" He holds up a bus pass and says he's missed his bus. "If you want even a dollar I don't have one" and that was the truth. Mother of six, never cash, even though I blogged a week or so ago that I would try to keep a little on me for these such situations. "No. No. I'm not looking for money and I've never robbed anyone. (good to know) I need a ride to the bus station downtown." I saw his uniform. "Do you work at Wendy's?" "Yes ma'am." I rolled down the window. "Get in." The entire way to the bus, we got his story. He's been in foster homes his whole life and he's working at Wendy's, going to Nashville State, graduated from Antioch High School, trying to walk on the football team at Austin Peay or Western Kentucky. He catches the bus in front of Vanderbilt to the downtown terminal to catch the H Bus to go home. We saved him an extra hour and miles more running. We got him to the station and I found myself wanting to know him better. He was polite and kind and very grateful. My son asked on the way home, "Would you have let him in if I had not offered to come with you?" "No way. And although this was a good example of kindness, it is an awful example of not picking up any strangers, ever." "I know." We talked about Isaiah the rest of the way home. Mostly discussing his hard work and persistence coming from his background and how he is trying to rise above his situation. What a neat kid! We pray for Isaiah and all the thousands of kids like him. God Bless them all.

1 comment: