Tuesday, August 17, 2010

St. Joan of the Cross

I have not heard the story of St. Joan of the Cross and yet I was raised by one who could be her sister. Oh how we all think my mom is wasting all she has giving her money each morning to the street people who recognize her car at the bookstore. I couldn't believe that Joan (Jean) owned (owns) her own family business and took (takes) care of the homeless and the poor. They are rare these Joans. They seem to be able to make eye contact, hold hands with, pray for and pass on a little Jesus to the worst looking, worst smelling humans I've ever come across. She talks to them like they are her own and like they are listening. My excuse is always that I have no money but I think she puts money aside to take care of them. This St. Joan today has really made me stop and think about my attitude towards these children of God. And the matching Gospel reading makes me rethink my basic response also. "Again I say to you,it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God.”
"The downtown areas of most major cities hold a population of “street people.” Well-dressed folks usually avoid making eye contact, probably for fear of being asked for a handout. That was Joan’s attitude until the day one of them touched her heart. Most people thought the old woman was crazy, but she put Joan on the road to sainthood. Who knows what the next beggar we meet might do for us?" from the Saint for the Day, St. Anthony Messenger

1 comment:

  1. Julie: I am working from a borrowed computer and don't have your email handy, but wanted you to know your Ferrell post just got a comment!
    http://yimcatholic.blogspot.com/2010/04/because-of-ferrell-my-guardian-angel.html
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete