Saturday, July 3, 2010

St. Thomas the Apostle, No Doubt

I must be careful about my lax way of saying, "Oh I'm so much like Thomas the Apostle, always doubting what God has planned for my life and always wanting to see to believe instead of just taking things on faith." One quick moment with his buddies and some remarks about the possibility of Jesus appearing to them and he's labeled for life "Doubting Thomas". But there's much more to Thomas then that moment of disbelief. His words when Jesus decides to return to Bethany for Lazarus, "Let us go along, to die with him" are words of loyalty. His words at the Last Discourse, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" lead us as we come to realize and to understand as Jesus reveals, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me." And finally, his words today upon seeing the Risen Jesus face to face, "My Lord and my God."
Today as I claim to "be just like" Thomas in my walk through this life, I must see beyond the doubt. As I want to hear His voice and to see His face and to understand clearly all He has put in front of me, I must also be willing to die with Him, to walk the long roads back into the possibilities of difficult situations. I must be able to lead others on the way, to the Truth, so they may have Life. And, I must be able to recognize Him in the smallest, most remote spaces, under the stress and anxiety of thinking He is no longer in our midst. I must be able to see His face and say, "My Lord and my God." No doubt today, there is much more to seeing and to believing.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all wrestle with doubt - maybe not that God is God but maybe what that means to us every day. However, satan drops those doubt ideas in our minds - but it is our words and actions that bury those doubts, squashing them like a bug.

    I like how you point out that we must "recognize him in the smallest, most remote places." That gives a stance of vigilance - at the grocery store, at the ball park, in the school hallway - always keeping our hearts open to letting others know God is there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great Monday! Thank you for sharing this.
    Visiting from the Mom Mondays.
    http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete