Monday, July 26, 2010

Mustard Seeds and Grandparents

I see we have the Feast Day of Sts. Joachum and Ann along with the Parable of the Mustard seed today and I can't help but make a comment on the importance of our children spending time around their grandparents so those seeds of wisdom can be continually handed down through generations. I'm noticing this morning as I'm reading this parable (as if for the first time) just how much Jesus wants us to realize that the Kingdom of Heaven is in our midst. Now, please understand that this is just my interpretation today for my growth at this moment. I get something different every time I read His Word. But for today, the Kingdom is here and I'm helping to plant these tiny little seeds so that my area can expand and I can just dwell. Happily. And then along comes the idea that past generations have also planted their seeds, some aiding in growth and others aiding in destruction and I see that we have a long, long way to go in this process. You know, to build the Kingdom of Heaven. Here, in our midst. Every single day I can look back, reflect, and see where I have planted and that huge plant has started to become the "largest of plants" and then I have stunted it's growth by a word or a deed and it has shriveled back down to the tiniest seed, so tiny I can hardly see it some days. Today I thank God for my grandparents and my children' grandparents who have purposefully helped in the planting and the cultivating and the watering. I thank God for the journey and the growth and the work of our hands. And, I pray that I can help more in the growth of the Kingdom, here, in our midst so that we may all someday dwell in the branches. There is much work to be done. For every generation.

1 comment:

  1. Another good reflection. I enjoy your posts for their simplicity and directness, but I also find them very full, full with a depth I feel very comfortable with. Kudos on your blog. Peace! k

    ReplyDelete