Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Revelation

"I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the Gospel preached by me is not of human origin. For I did not receive it from a human being, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ." Paul
Jesus had revealed himself to his disciples and, when they had finished breakfast, said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
Today, on the Feast Day of Sts. Peter and Paul, we read much about Jesus revealing Himself to His Apostles and the effects those revelations had on the history of the church. In the commentary from the Saint of the Day, we see Jesus constantly revealing Himself and the teachings of the Father to Peter and Peter's denials, his failings, his mishaps, followed by Jesus' forgiveness, His understanding and His healing. We see Jesus revealing to Peter and to Paul all that they need to lead the Church and to preach the Gospel and we see these two men, as humans, with failings, working tirelessly to understand, to preach, to lead and to reveal Jesus Christ to all they meet.
I have spoken before about V-8 moments where I physically pop myself on the forehead and think, "Wow, that's what it's all about!" I think these two men probably had many V-8 moments in their lives. But I have to say, their reactions, their responses, their persistence, their openness to Jesus' revelations made all the difference.
Today, I once again work to open myself to all Jesus has to reveal. I say this quite often and then get on with my busy-ness and wonder, "Where is Jesus in all I have to do?" Well, duh. He reveals Himself through everyone I come in contact with during my day. He walks beside me on that road to Emmaus. He reaches out His hand when I'm about to go under. He forgives me when I deny Him and He gives me the opportunity to Feed His Lambs, to Tend His Sheep and to Feed His Sheep. May I be open to His revelations.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. The last six or so lines gave me goose-bumps. Again, thanks for such a human and thoughtful reflection. I shall return. Peace! k

    ReplyDelete