01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: John the Baptist 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

John the Baptist

34
"He must increase. I must decrease."
I can't help but mention a little about John the Baptist today because he brings to mind other "heroes of the Church" people seem to love to quote. John compares his relationship to Jesus as groom and best man right before the above quote. I love that image. He's "overjoyed to hear his voice." "The One who comes from above is above all; the one who is of the earth is earthly, and he speaks on an earthly plane." He quotes Isaiah saying, "I am a voice in the desert crying out: Make straight the way of the Lord!" John constantly and continually points to Jesus. He's the best man, the co-pilot, the altar server, the co-director, the aide. He works his entire life to bring others closer to Jesus. He works to raise Jesus up and to let others know that He and He alone is the One. The real deal.
There are countless Saints and Heroes that we can say are similar to John the Baptist in that they have spent their lives bringing others to Christ. When I was working on the Lives of the Saints and the Visions of Mary mini bios, I read countless stories of people, just like you and I, who spent their days and their nights spreading the Good News. But the most recent that pop right into my head when I read "He must increase. I must decrease." are Pope John Paul II, Mother Teresa and Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan. There are many others, I realize, who seem to point back to Jesus with all of their writings and each of their quotes. Their voices in the desert never seem to dry out or tire of saying, "Look! There is the Lamb of God." Make straight the way!
Anyone John the Baptist' you'd like to share?

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38