Sunday, May 30, 2010

Religious Book Trade Exhibit

Handed down from both parents, I have a genuine love of books. I love to read and I love to peruse through bookstores. I am known to work at our bookstore all day and stop at Borders on the way home to check out new titles. I love the smell of bookstores and I love the feel of certain books in my hands. I love to share great titles with family and friends and I love to recommend certain titles to our customers.
It is no wonder that Tuesday starts one of my favorite times of the year. I travel to St. Charles, IL for the annual RBTE. This year I'm driving with my oldest daughter on Monday so we can be there nice and early for the seminar on Tuesday given by Lisa Hedney about social media. The luncheon talk will be given by Joyce Rupp. Each year Catholic and Episcopal Booksellers gather with editors and writers and publishers and share ideas and industry news and a love of books. We celebrate Mass and we buy and we listen and we learn. Each day an author speaks at lunch and at dinner on Wednesday and Thursday. Also on Wednesday, authors set up in a large room and autograph books for each of us to take home. I'm fortunate enough to be in meetings each afternoon with Paulist Press and St. Anthony/Servant to talk about the future of book selling and the needs of customers. By the way, if you want to see something specific in the Catholic Market, now's the time to make a comment and I'll pass it on. I do a lot of talking and suggesting and begging for Catholics who want something more.
So, for now, it's off to the Windy City and on to an exciting week. Speak up if you want me to put a word in for ya! It never hurts to ask.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great time Julie. I am going to miss being there with you.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time Julie! Joyce Rupp! Excellent author! I've blogged one of her books. I'll try not to envy you your trip! ;)

    I love the smell of bookstores, books, paper and the feel of certain books, covers, etc. I've been known to practically drool over certain libraries... (sigh) It used to embarrass my children. Ah books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love to browse bookstores ... I can spend hours in them ... have a safe and enJOYable trip!

    Abbey♥

    ReplyDelete