Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Kindness

As the waters of the Cumberland River spilled over into business after business and as the Harpeth River and other waterways lowered yesterday, Nashville was certainly a city of mixed emotions. Even the news had a difficult time focusing on what needed to be broadcast and where teams needed to be to help with the ongoing disasters. We are definitely all over the place, not knowing who or how to help, not knowing where to be. We finally got in touch with my father-in-law who has been dry but without power for 2 days. My sister-in-law put out a plea on facebook and a neighbor went to him with a phone and he assured us that he was safe. Last night my husband and daughter went to bring him over to our house, (the first time they could weave their way through the roads near the river). I was fascinated by the kindness of my children preparing for his arrival and after he settled in. My oldest son cleaning his room(he gave up his bed without a fight and moved to the couch)and my daughter changing bed sheets and making sure all paths were clear. My younger son and daughter working on general pickup around the house knowing their grandfather is partially blind in one eye and completely blind in the other. It took some time to convince him to come and stay at our house but upon arrival, he was welcomed and then left to settle down and get his bearings. He was confused with his insulin (type 1 diabetic) and I watched as my 12 year old tried to help him make decisions and sort out his needs. The other children cleared the area until he took his shot and had some dinner. Putting a partially blind, partially deaf man in a strange house is a challenge for him but he seemed to calm down after the first hour. My husband and children sat and watched the news with him and then helped him down the 3 steps to his room for sleep. I was grateful for these children who always surprise me with their abilities to rise to the occasions. I know when called upon they will be glad to go and serve others as they have served their grandfather and will continue to serve him today. Their kindness calmed an old man who was obviously frightened to leave his familiar surroundings. May this same kindness spill over into our neighborhoods and bring Nashville some well needed peace as we continue to help one another. God Bless the victims of this awful disaster. And may we all show a little kindness.

1 comment:

  1. God bless you for your kindness to others during your trials. Your children sound wonderful!

    Be assured of our prayers. We here in Oklahoma are no stranger to disasters ... whether they be bombings, tornadoes, ice storms, floods, fires, earthquakes, etc., we have seen plenty of damage and it can bring out the best and worst in people. I pray for more of the former than the latter.

    May He protect and strengthen you!

    ReplyDelete