Wednesday, May 5, 2010

In the Midst of Disaster

I worked at the bookstore yesterday on my regular day off because three of our co-workers suffered damage to their homes caused by the floods this past weekend. I have to say that I feel an internal yearning to be out there in the mud and the muck cleaning instead of working at the bookstore but I know God has plans for each of us and covering so that others can take care of their families and their homes is just my part. My husband stayed home with his father that we have taken in who could not stay in his own home due to the lack of electricity and water. But the true purpose of this post is to say how moved I am by the phone calls and emails from my salespeople and other bookstores in different parts of the country. I love that other people care about the welfare of our family and our business. They called to make sure that we did not suffer great loses but also to see if there was anything they could do personally, and they are sincere in their gesture. After I explained that our home and the store where fine but that I had several good friends who had lost everything, they informed me that they were sending checks to the bookstore for me to give to those families in our parish community. They knew that they could give to the relief funds set up but knowing that we would get the money to someone who lost everything short of the clothes on their backs and one car made them feel like they could do something more personal. I am moved by what mankind will do for one another. I have watched on TV what a difference we can make in each others' lives both positive and negative but to experience the good on a personal level during times like these is simply inspiring. Today I'll keep myself open to where God leads me and whether I simply deliver my pots and pans gifts requested last night or clean a house or wait on customers at the bookstore, I'll know that with the help and kindness of those inside and outside our community, we'll work to build up one another and to make a difference in our community. God Bless you all.

3 comments:

  1. It is always amazing how people can really come together like this.. it gives me such hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful reflection about how people come together when it really counts. God bless you all, and thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own your book and just stumbled upon your blog. Thank you for sharing your beautiful family, and be assured of my prayers during this most difficult time.

    ReplyDelete