Monday, May 24, 2010

Are You Willing to Give it all Away?

“You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.”
Everything? But what about...? and ...? I worked for years for ...? Everything? I often wonder how I would handle giving everything to the poor. I often question my need for my stuff. I often wonder, could I give it all away? And I often think, well He doesn't mean everything, does He?
Today's world puts so much emphasis on material objects and I find it very easy to fall right into today's ways. My grand Mama Rose rarely let me leave her house without offering me something of hers. Her cedar chest was bottomless and so was her love for her grandchildren. I pray someday I grow up to be just like her when it comes to generosity. We can certainly explain away the true meaning of this passage from Mark. Camel pass through the eye of a needle. What's the catch here? Truth is, there is no catch. There is no joke. There is no hidden meaning. Jesus wants us to give it all up for Him. He wants us to give Him our full attention in a world that keeps distracting us with material goods. He wants us to let go of all the stuff and follow Him.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Julie!

    I've asked myself these same questions many times. And my mother-in-law is your grand Mama Rose so far as giving stuff away goes. I, too, pray that I can reach a stage of detachment. Whenever there are big storms here and friends lose everything, I ask myself, "What if that had been me? Could I have dealt with it?" I pray when my time comes, He'll be there with all the Grace I need.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great things to think about, Julie!

    ReplyDelete