Monday, April 19, 2010

Sympathy

Well I've been thinking much about the word sympathy over the past couple of days because I have had the "bug". My 2nd grader had it through the night Thursday and was laid out all day Friday. By Saturday night I myself was clinging to the medals around my neck begging God for some small amount of sympathy. I thought I may die right there with my head inside a pan. Sunday, I was laid out all day and the times I was awake, I thought about being sympathetic. Was I sympathetic enough to Julia as she lay with her head in the pan and suffered through this "bug"? Probably not after I realized for myself the horror of it all. Also, my oldest had ear infections at a very young age, so many that she finally had tubes. Long past the time, I myself had an ear infection and OH MY GOODNESS! how painful is that. I had to stop and think. Was I sympathetic enough when she went through all those nights of pain? Probably not. It's the same when someone loses a family member and then I lose one and realize just how awful the pain of loss is. I've learned that it doesn't matter how sick they were or how old they were or if they were awful to the rest of the family. They are still a mother, a father, a brother, a nephew, a son, a daughter, a something to somebody. The lonely, the disabled, the elderly, our priests, our sisters, our teachers, those who have it all and those who have nothing, am I sympathetic when need be? Probably not. I learned at an early age to take care of the needs of others but it seems as an adult that unless I personally have the same experience, I just don't think about it often enough. Sad huh? This busy life of mine was slowed down by an awful virus and it took just that to slow me down enough to question myself. Am I sympathetic to the needs of others? Sometimes I know I am and then again today, I need to contemplate sympathy.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes... been there! So many times I've failed to be as sympathetic as I could ... for many different reasons. I kick myself ... and then, eventually I have to let it go because I know, I just didn't know at the time. (sigh) But it's hard, especially when I learn I could have done better. Contemplating sympathy--I like that!

    ReplyDelete