Sunday, April 4, 2010

St. Isidore of Seville

St. Isidore: "An amazingly learned man, he was sometimes called "The Schoolmaster of the Middle Ages" because the encyclopedia he wrote was used as a textbook for nine centuries. He required seminaries to be built in every diocese, wrote a Rule for religious orders and founded schools that taught every branch of learning. Isidore wrote numerous books, including a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a history of Goths and a history of the world—beginning with creation! He completed the Mozarabic liturgy, which is still in use in Toledo, Spain. For all these reasons Isidore (as well as several other saints) has been suggested as patron of the Internet."
"He commissioned us to preach to the people and testify that he is the one appointed by God as judge of the living and the dead."
I am one of those people who have to be careful not to spend too much time on the internet. I have a tendency to get caught up in all the great messages of other blogs and other tweets. I also have a face book page and website for the bookstore. Please, no one introduce me to another social network. However, I must say that I feel I have grown spiritually from others who have been "commissioned to preach" and to share their stories. I feel blessed to read about how other moms teach their children about Jesus. I am fortunate to hear what others are reading and how they have been moved by the writings from the Fathers of the Church and the Saints. Soooo...St. Isidore, be my guide. Help me to use the internet for a good purpose and help us all to grow in the grace and peace of Christ, teaching and preaching and sharing His Love with one another. Last night as the dark "tomb" of our Church was brought to new life with the procession of lighted candles we were reminded of our New Life in the Resurrection. May we enlighten one another by sharing this One Faith, this One Life. Happy Easter to all and may St. Isidore watch over our efforts.

2 comments:

  1. @Julie: Today is his feast day?!
    My son chose this saint's name as his confirmation name. An adult friend introduced him to the saint, knowing how much my son loves learning.
    I custom-ordered a retablo for him of st. Isidore as a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Allison: Who knew? April 4th. I found the reading about him very interesting this morning. Great choice for a patron saint.

    ReplyDelete