Saturday, April 17, 2010

St. Benedict Joseph Labre

Here we go this morning, filling my head with a million thoughts about this saint for the day. I think at first, man I'd love to spend my life traveling to all the incredible pilgrimage sites of Europe, spending time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. But, hmmmm, I wouldn't want to beg outside for food or sleep on the streets. Then the image came to me of a time last summer when I was walking with my daughters and my mother through the streets of Toledo, Spain and I noticed a beggar outside a small entrance covered with a leather flap. My daughters and my mom walked on but I lifted back the flap and entered a small room with several people kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I took my place on the kneeler and prayed in front of Our Lord in the darkened room marked from outside by a beggar. As I remember, most of the pilgrimage sites we went to and many I can remember from years of traveling have beggars at the door. Wonder just how many I've passed have wandered inside and spent time in front of the Blessed Sacrament? Possibility. Wonder how many have died on the streets after devoting their lives to the Blessed Mother and the Eucharist? Wonder how many have shared the few alms they have received with their brothers on the street? My mom always reached down and gave something to the beggars and now I wonder how many are somewhere praying for her? Possibility. These beggars that bother most could well be the ones who get us closer to Heaven. Can I see the face of Benedict Joseph? The face of a saint? After his death hundreds of miracles were attributed to the intercession of St. Benedict Joseph, "the poor man of the Forty Hours Devotion." Wonder.

1 comment:

  1. I like your stream-of-conscientiousness style of writing. It reminds me of the way I thought/prayed when I was on pilgrimage in Portugal/Spain/Italy. Ha! I also saw your quote by St. Anselm! Another message from him today! ☺

    Nice blog. Neat name, description, family picture, etc.

    ReplyDelete