Monday, April 26, 2010

My Last First Communion


My youngest child made her First Holy Communion yesterday and it was beautiful. The children processioned into the church from their classrooms singing, "Lord prepare me to be a Sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true. With thanksgiving I'll be a living Sanctuary for You," over and over. This year I was fortunate to be a Eucharistic Minister during the ceremony. We waited on the altar while the children received and it allowed me a birds eye view of my daughter receiving Jesus for the first time. The only problem was that it did make me cry which meant I had the sniffles as I went on to distribute to the congregation. I don't think it was too noticeable. We had a nice lunch/dinner afterward and her two older sisters in college both called to congratulate her on her special day. Both were crushed not to be here. While tucking that sweet, pure white goodness in last night, I came in while she was reviewing her new Bible. St. Benedict Press/Tan had just put out a new Communion Bible and it has colored sections of St. Tarcisus and Blessed Imelda, the Mass, the Rosary, basic prayers and the Sacraments. It's awesome. She was using her new rosary and going by the picture with the instructions and asked me to pray with her. She knows the prayers but insisted on reading each word from her new Bible. I had closed my eyes and she slipped her hand in mine with the beads between our fingers so we could "pray together better." We only got through a small section and she decided she was tired. Before I left she said, "Mom, who knew the Bible could be so much fun?" She also asked, "Do you ever feel like you're not holy enough to receive Jesus in Communion?" I thought, All The Time! but I said, "I do but I don't think you have to worry about that right now." It reminded me of a retreat at the Dominican Motherhouse I attended where the beautiful, fully habited, professed for probably 40 years, sister said that as she approaches the altar each day she often thinks, "Who am I that my Lord Jesus Christ would come to me in this Blessed Sacrament?" I just sat in awe of her humility. In the same way I'm touched by my child's sweet humility. She touches me during these times because she wants she share everything with me especially about our faith. She hands down all she learns as if it's the first time I've ever been told. Such innocence. "My Lord and my God." Who am I that You should come to me? It was a great day.

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful and touching! thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a lovely post. And your daughter is so pretty, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, Her eyes tell her excitement at being this very close
    to Jesus. You know about eyes being windows of the soul.....
    that is what I thought about.

    ReplyDelete