Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Join the Acts

"The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common." Acts 4:32
I have to stop and really think about the reading from Acts this morning. I have to imagine my own community of believers and appreciate there unselfish ways of giving back to the larger community. I can think right off the top of my head of many who give their time and their talent and their treasure for the needs of others. We all know people like this in our communities. Those who feed the hungry at shelters or in school gyms. Those who give money and send supplies to disaster stricken areas. Those who go themselves to rebuild war torn or nature destroyed places. Those who visit the sick and imprisoned and lonely. There are thousands of opportunities in this world, in this country, in our cities and in our own backyards if we believe with one heart and one mind that we are given to share. Jesus wants us to be a part of the bigger picture. He wants us to go out to all the world and preach the good news so that all the world will have everything in common. The Apostles worked for communities to live in equality. The members turned in all their possessions and they were redistributed evenly. Now how beautiful is that! And it sounds so easy and in certain ways it's exactly what many of our churches try to do. They take the offerings and redistribute them to the different ministries to teach and to preach and to feed and to make a difference. How much more can we do to be a part of these Acts? How much more can I do to be a part of this community?

2 comments:

  1. I find I am asking myself that question a lot! Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete