Monday, April 12, 2010

A Handwritten Note

Today is the feast of St. Teresa of the Andes; a young Carmelite, the first Saint of Chile, who began an apostolate of letter-writing, sharing her thoughts on the spiritual life with people. As we all know, the art of letter-writing has been somewhat replaced by easier means of communication. I personally cannot express how much I love to receive letters. My oldest daughter is very good at writing letters and so is my sister-in-law. I should learn by their example. Handwritten notes tend to be kept, cherished and appreciated. Letter-writing tends to be taken a bit more seriously because of the effort put forth. Today we read about a young girl who made a difference in the lives of an entire community because of her writing and now, with the story of her life and her diary published, "God the Joy of My Life", all of us can read of a young girl's deepest spiritual desires to be one with Jesus. The simple act of sharing the spiritual life through letters has made this saint someone we can emulate. Take time. Write a letter. Make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I didn't know this Saint....Thank you for telling me about her
    now, I want to read the Book!

    ReplyDelete