Monday, March 1, 2010

A Good Measure

"a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”
This definitely reminds me of my grandmothers and my mom. Ask any of them for recipes and suddenly it's "I'm not sure about how much. I add to taste or a pinch of this and a touch of that. And, oh, it needs something else but I've never written it down." Yet, homemade pies, icing, fruitcake, casseroles, soups, etc. were always the best. With my parents and my grandparents, just as with our God, what comes from what's given is overflowing with goodness. There are no specific measurements. It's all done naturally and it's mixed together and it's awesome. Me, I tend to measure out every little ingredient and try to get the same result but it's just not quite as good because I nit pick the mix. They may never add the same ingredients and yet the flavors, what's packed together, what overflows, amazes. Shake things up a little. Add a little extra. Pour it all out into their laps. Let it overflow naturally.

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Julie

    A Happy St David's Day to you.

    This is a really nice post. It is a situation I know so very well! My dear Mom was just like that. She made the most wonderful dinners, puddings, Christmas cakes and all good things. When I left home I would often ask her how to make something that I or my husband especially liked. The answer was always the same - a bit of this, a drop of that, a pinch of something else. So, My dishes were never the wonderful ones my Mom's were. I never before equated all of that with God's love and care for us . So, thank you for this lovely post. It taught me something as well as bringing back a happy memory.

    God bless you, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie!
    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog! I look forward to getting to know you better!

    I too am a "measuring out" kind of person. I like what you said about "shake it up a little". I totally get that!

    Take care and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've given me some great memories as well, I think of my grandma speaking in just this way:-)

    ReplyDelete