Saturday, February 27, 2010

One Big Surprise Party

"For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have?"
Now I realize that today's reading is about loving our enemies and doing good to those who hate us but I have to say, it is so much easier just to hang around those who love us. I don't like confrontation. Don't like to deal with those who do not care for me or my beliefs. Although, I know I would gain far more graces by embracing those who cannot stand to be around me, I'd rather just avoid the situation.
Last night I went to a surprise 50th birthday party for a friend. I have known her since I was five or six and our families matched up almost perfectly kid for kid. It was a wonderful reunion and we talked and laughed and enjoyed each other; every single person in the room. It was my kind of night. I didn't want to leave. Now I know there were no points made toward Heaven last night but I'd like to admit that I would prefer every day to be just like last night. A group of friends, old and new, celebrating and enjoying their children and their lives. Why can't the world be one big old neighborhood? Remembering, loving, sharing and happy. No confrontations. Sounds like Heaven to me.
The world does get in our way and I know there's much work for us to do but dang I'd still prefer just to have one big surprise party every day.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!! Sometimes when I hear this reading I have to think "Lord, what are you thinking????" it is so much easier to love those who love me.. because the Lord asks me and knows what is best for me, I will continue to try my best to love my enemies as well.. not that it will be easy, but it will be the right thing.. great post!!

    ReplyDelete