01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: My Mouth 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

My Mouth

34
Todays New Testament reading about Jesus curing the deaf man with the speech impediment and the Saint for the day, Apollonia, patron of toothaches, both lead me to think about my big mouth. Wow can that instrument which can be used to bring about peace and good will get me in tons of trouble. My mouth can in the very same day teach a child more about God's Commandments, help a customer find just the right book to help their spiritual growth, pray the rosary, receive Jesus in Holy Communion and damage another's reputation. How can this be? At work, we all know and discuss this problem of my mouth. We all know that if I ever talk about another I have to think of something nice to say in return. And, we all know that my mouth speaks before I think. It's a good thing that Lent's coming and for 40 days I can work diligently on my mouth and pick up a few more good habits that hopefully remain after Easter. I hope Jesus doesn't have to actually spit on my tongue to cure this impediment, this problem that keeps me from loving Him and others more. I also hope I don't have to jump into the fire to prove my dying love for Jesus. Lord, help me to obey the constant words of my mother, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!"
35 36 37 38