01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Mountaintop Experiences 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Mountaintop Experiences

34
"it is good that we are here"
There are so many times in our lives when we are somewhere or encounter someone and we say to ourselves at that time or maybe ever later, "Man! I'm glad I was there!" Today we experience Peter in the Gospel having just that experience, that mountaintop experience.
I've been blessed with many such experiences in my life. The literal ones that come to mind are standing at the cross on top of the mountain in Medjugorje, standing on top of the Basilica in Lourdes in the Pyranees and climbing the hill to walk the Stations there. But, excluding the literal peaks, there are the births of each of my children, my wedding day, Baptisms, First Communions and Confirmations, shaking hands with Pope John Paul II, my encounter at Santarem, Portugal with the Eucharistic Miracle, etc. etc. etc. So, I was thinking that I would love to hear the Mountaintop experiences of others. Is there a time when you encountered someone, or something or were somewhere and you simply said, "It is good I was here"? Some days for me, it's a simple encounter at the bookstore and some years, it's a visit to the outdoor Chapel in Fatima.
For example, one night after the Ordination of one of our priests, I was strolling through the Cathedral late and the priest was walking toward the back with a recent convert. I stopped and spoke to both and the priest started to introduce us. The convert interrupted and told the priest that he knew me and spent many hours in our bookstore and that the store had played a large role in his conversion. Not me, I know. But, mountaintop. I teared up. Confirmation of that place, that space, that store my mother worked so hard to build up. It was good that I was there.
Someday I'll learn how to make another section to my blog and I'll share stories. Some from the bookstore are very entertaining, but for now, I'll just post bit by bit. Please share with us any mountaintop experiences.
35 36 37 38