Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lip Service

"This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"
Wow do I know this feeling. I have one young person who works with us and no matter how many times I ask him not to get on the internet at the cash register, he responds, "Ok. I'll never do it again" and the next day he works he's right back on. We've had two virus problems since he's been there but all I really get are empty promises known to us today as lip service. I know what this is because my children are well versed in the art. "Yes ma'am" "Never again" "Right on it" All this makes me feel like I'm going to get some action but it's really just a feeling. Their hearts are not into the response or the request and I know it.
Today we are reminded that if we really love God, our hearts would be in His work. We would honor Him by following Him with all that we have and not just our words. Do we really love our neighbor? Do we really honor our parents or those we should? Or, do we provide lip service? Do we give all the right answers to quiet the crowd? Do we just talk the talk and not walk the walk? Today God wants more. He wants our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie
    I just tried to post a comment but lost the internet connection so I will try again! I think this post is spot on. This is something we all need to think about and remember. It is so easy to, as you put it, 'talk the talk'. When it comes to 'walk the walk', then that is, as my dear mother would say, 'a horse of another colour'. Thank you for a nice blog and for this timely reminder. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, thank you so much for stopping at my blog and the kind words you left for me:-) I would love to add your blog to my blog roll and I hope to visit often.
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete