01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: St. Timothy 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

St. Timothy

34
"For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice
but rather of power and love and self-control."
Well I'm obviously no Bible scholar and I don't pretend to interpret but I love certain passages that come along with a line that jumps off the page for the day. St. Timothy is said to have been rather young and shy compared to some of Paul's other co-workers and friends. In Paul's words to him today he tells him that there is no room for cowardice in their job of bringing others to Christ. He reminds him to "stir into flame the gift of God." Stir into flame. Don't allow the coals to just sit there red hot. Stoke the fire. Set the world ablaze. I love that image. It reminds me how I feel every time I come from a conference or a retreat or even confession. Wouldn't it be great to be on fire like that all the time? Not timid. Not worried about what others think. Always working to bring others closer to Christ. Paul reminds us all today to stir it up a little out there. Don't hold back. Move the coals around and "stir into flame the gift of God."
35 36 37 38