01 02 03 Hand Me Down Heaven: Purpose Driven Life 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Purpose Driven Life

34
Again I take this moment to share the flip calendar verse from Rick Warren for today. "When you grasp the eternal consequences of your character development, you'll pray fewer 'Comfort me' prayers (Help me feel good) and more 'Conform me' prayers (Use this to make me more like you). If you are facing trouble right now, don't ask, 'Why me?' Instead ask, 'What do you want me to learn?' Then trust God and keep on doing what's right."

I took one of my daughters to college this weekend and coming home from dinner Friday night witnessed a bad wreck. All air bags were deployed when a car running a stop sign at full speed plowed into another coming through the intersection we were approaching. I saw what was about to happen and screamed for my daughter to stop as the incident unfolded before us. My daughter backed up the van into a parking lot and went to check on the family with two young boys who were in the car hit by a man and a woman headed to the hospital to see her mother who was expected to die. I watched as my young daughter comforted the young boys who we found out were visiting from another city. She talked to them about nothing and about everything. She spent an hour of her time that she wanted to be working on her dorm room, caring for a family she had no connection to and yet for that hour became connected. She did not pass on one thought of the "why me?" but shared everything she could think of to help them get through a scary time and move on trusting that there was nothing that they did to be at fault, we were all lucky not to be seriously hurt and all would be okay.
After the entire deal, as we drove back to the dorm, we talked about the importance of her being there at that time for those kids and what we have to learn from the situations we encounter. God is good to give us those times of confirmations where we can watch our children act and react in situations beyond their control and be great. She was used to be something more to someone totally unknown to her.
35 36 37 38