Thursday, August 13, 2009

Character

"Every problem is a character-building opportunity, and the more difficult it is, the greater the potential for building spiritual muscle and moral fiber. What happens outwardly in your life is not as important as what happens inside you. Your circumstances are temporary, but your character will last forever."
Each morning I read a small daily flip calendar that my goddaughter gave me last Christmas based on the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I always get something quite insightful from the small messages and oftentimes they hit square in the target of my life. Today's reflection was for me not necessarily about problems but more about my crazy schedule getting my children in school, two colleges, one new high school and three to grade school, running the bookstore and training five new employees, while setting up off-site book tables for a workshop in the Diocese for three days. Here's where my lack of organizational skills puts me in a panic. Here's when I have to stop and take each day as an opportunity to build character not just within myself but within my family. They are the ones highly affected by my schedule. Around them I try to demonstrate patience. While my brains screams "let's move along", my heart tells me to relax. These days are so temporary. The time I have with these children and co-workers and customers passes so quickly. Opportunities disappear before us. In our hectic lives, may we all take the time to build a little character by simply handling the craziness well.

2 comments:

  1. The fact that you are AWARE of what these
    OPPORTUNITIES are....is a really good sign
    that they are working toward MORE
    Character Building...... Guess Who!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely said Julie. Now if only I can remember to use this advise!

    Kimberly Marsh

    ReplyDelete